Sunday, August 30, 2009

Re: Trying to post - Finally..!

John Beckett wrote:
> Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
>> Er.. you mean that if I subscribe pgenpaul@gmail.com to the
>> vim@vim.org mailing list, proceed to post a message from my
>> machine, I then have to use a web browser rather than my MUA
>> to follow up..?? Or in other words I have to subscribe from a
>> non-gmail account to function normally within the context of
>> this mailing list...???
>
> You would only have trouble if you wanted to reply to your OWN
> message. Sending a new message and replying to a message sent by
> anyone else would be no problem (using whatever mail client you
> like).
>
> As bill lam said, this is a very well known problem to do with
> your gmail account, and has nothing to do with the system used
> for the mailing list. I also have a gmail account, and am
> irritated by exactly the same issue both here and on mailman
> lists. However, in practice, it is not a problem because I
> rarely need to reply to myself.

Well the explanation was a lot simpler - and now I realize why you had
no idea what I was really talking about - and were trying to humor the
lunatic ;-)

I am dead certain that one of the first things I did was go see if gmail
accounts have a Spam folder and if unbeknownst to me, my lost messages
had found their way therein. But with Seamonkey eating up 90-99% CPU, as
soon as I log on to gmail, I probably mis-clicked on the microscopic
link and went to check the Trash folder instead. That would make
excellent sense because that's exactly what I did when I was retracing
my steps, an hour or so ago.. only this time I caught it.. :-(

Well to cut a long story short, I checked again because that was the
most likely explanation for the strange things I was seeing, and lo and
behold, I found not only my lost messages to the vim list, but also
about 50% of the the vim_use traffic since I subscribed. And naturally,
since all these messages were marked as spam they were never downloaded
to my local system.

I have set up a filter to disable Google's spam filter and will see what
happens.

The reason why the other lists I had subscribed to from this account
appeared to work correctly is that they _almost_ did: I only found one
message from the mutt-users list and about five from the python list.

Interestingly, my "new posts" to vim_use had a nice message at the top
informing me that they had been moved to the Spam folder because Google
believes that my From: header had been forged...!

For some reason, my "new posts" to the mutt-user list were not labeled
forgeries.. perhaps because they did not originate from Google groups?

So if anyone here uses a gmail account as a mail drop for the vim_use
mailing list and you hasn't already addressed this issue, it won't hurt
take a quick peek at your Spam folder - you may have been missing on
some of the action :-)

Thanks much for helping me figure this out.

Gen_Paul.


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: