Saturday, August 29, 2009

Re: Trying to post.

bill lam wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
>> At least, to the "mailing list" - I don't see it delivered back to my
>> local mailer. On the other hand, I just found that three copies of this
>> message did make it to Yahoo! groups.
>>
>>
>> I am subscribed to a couple of other mailing lists from this email
>> account and I have not run into any problems: my posts went through
>> first time around and I got them back within seconds.
>
> Did you mean your gmail inbox received emails that you had post to
> other mailing list sent from the same gmail account? But you
> shouldn't because that is a feature of gmail.

Sorry for being unclear.

I subscribed to three mailing lists specifying pgenpaul@gmail.com as the
subscribing email account.

I proceeded to setup a "POP3 email account" in Thunderbird on my local
system, pointing to "pop3.gmail.com" as the server and specifying
pgenpaul@gmail.com as the account.

I set up Thunderbird "filters" to automatically move messages to three
separate folders corresponding to the three mailing lists, one of them
being called "vim".

Whenever I start Thunderbird, new messages from the vim list as well as
the two others are automatically moved to their respective folders.

As far as I can tell, this works ok with the vim mailing list, although
I cannot say that I have checked that every single message that made it
to the "groups" was actually downloaded to my system.

The problem is that with the other two mailing lists, any message that I
post makes it to their respective lists in a matter of seconds and this
does not happen with the vim mailing list.

With the other two mailing lists, I write a message, issue a Ctrl+Enter
to post/send it, follow this by a Ctrl+T, which in Thunderbird is mapped
to "Download new messages" and sure as eggs, the message I just posted
is there for me to see, tucked away nicely in its folder, waiting for
possible replies to be threaded to it.

With the vim mailing list, this just doesn't happen, leading me to
suspect that something is not working correctly.

In other words, I just use the pgenpaul@gmail.com address as a mail drop
and subsequently download my mail from the gmail repository, since I
would never dream of using their "mailer": I do not log on to "gmail", I
point Thunderbird running on my laptop to a POP3 server called
"pop.gmail.com" and via Ctrl+T I ask Thunderbird to download to my
system all new messages that may have landed in pgenpaul's Inbox .

A bit of a white lie, since today for the first time I did log on to
"gmail" to check whether my post to the list was not stranded in some
"junk' or "spam" folder.

Well, it was not.

Again, this particular setup works and has worked from day one without a
glitch with two other mailing lists that I have set up identically at
the same time.

Since this is not working with the vim mailing list, and only with the
vim mailing list, there may be something about the list's setup that is
different from other mailing lists that I am not aware of.. everything
is possible.. or perhaps something is either not currently working - or
something is not set up correctly.

Since this list is fairly active even at the weekend and nothing was
downloaded to my system today outside this thread, and since my earlier
post has materialized in Yahoo! groups, while it never showed up on my
machine, I strongly suspect that something is currently broken and it
might be worth the list owner's time to take a look.

Thanks to vim's excellent documentation and help system, I am in no way
dependent on anyone fixing this and I could already have saved myself
quite a bit of time ignoring this issue.

Hope this clarifies.

CJ


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: