Sunday, August 30, 2009

Re: Trying to post.

On Aug 30, 5:29 am, Patrick Gen-Paul <pgenp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry Bill and Fuzzy Logic, and thanks for your patience, but I think
> there must be some kind of miscommunication going on: I do not post from
> a gmail account, or in other words, I do not start mozilla, log on to
> their nightmare of an interface, compose a message with their nightmare
> of an editor, waste five minutes trying to remember which silly little
> icon I need to click to make sure my message is sent a plain text and
> not as html.. etc.
>
> I am subscribed to v...@vim.org under a gmail account but I do all my
> mailing and composing under mozilla-mail running locally on my laptop.
> In other words, I use the gmail account as a mail drop because I do not
> have a fixed IP address, my own domain.. etc. and I do not run a mail
> server visible to the outside world.
>

Regardless of whether you use POP forwarding, regardless of whatever
mail client you actually use to check your email, YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT
IS WITH GMAIL. All your mail goes through the gmail servers, whether
you read it on the web interface or not. All the mail downloaded to
your own PC is first processed by google's computers. There is no
possible way to receive a message from your gmail account in your
inbox on your PC without it also appearing in your inbox on the web
interface. Hence, as a limitation of gmail apparently, you will be
unable to receive messages that you yourself sent from your gmail
account.

Now, if you were to subscribe to the list using a non-gmail account
(i.e. one that does not end in @gmail.com, and regardless of where you
read it) then you may be able to receive messages you sent.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: