Saturday, August 29, 2009

Re: Trying to post.

John Beckett wrote:
> Patrick Gen-Paul
>> The problem is that with the other two mailing lists, any
>> message that I post makes it to their respective lists in a
>> matter of seconds and this does not happen with the vim
>> mailing list.
>
> What Fuzzy Logic said is correct: For whatever reason, you will
> never receive messages that you send from a gmail account to a
> Google Group (that is, you will not receive your own message).

Er.. you mean that if I subscribe pgenpaul@gmail.com to the vim@vim.org
mailing list, proceed to post a message from my machine, I then have to
use a web browser rather than my MUA to follow up..?? Or in other words
I have to subscribe from a non-gmail account to function normally within
the context of this mailing list...???

:-)

The way I, and as far as I know everybody else, uses mailing lists is
that..

1) you subscribe to a mailing list
2) you post to the mailing list
3) you retrieve whatever was posted including your post
4) eventually someone replies to your post
5) you now have a thread with you initial post and some repl{y,ies}
6) you read the replies, thank their authors
7) you possibly post back and provide more info
8) etc..

Now you're telling me the vim list does not support this mode..???

1) I subscribe to a mailing list from a gmail account
2) It's not really a mailing list.. it's a Google group
3) So, I can no longer use the convenience of my mailer and editor
4) Further conversation are to be pursued via a web browser
5) The Google groups interface does provide the vim editor
6) Since I prefer vim, I fire up vim on my local system
7) I copy paste what I'm replying to in my vim session
8) I trim, write my reply - remembering not to top-post
9) I copy paste my reply back to the Google groups interface..

Am I misunderstanding what you just told me.. and if not, are there any
plans to switch to something saner..?

:-)

I haven't had much time to investigate, but appears that vim somehow
became affiliated with Google groups back in mid-2007.

And now I am being told that if I want to communicate with the vim
community, I am no longer at liberty to use my mailer of choice (or
editor by the way) - I must log on to Google..????

Does anyone know what "for whatever reason" in John's post above means
and what mysterious benefits were derived from this conversion...??

I hope this is just a broken setup, so please dispel my doubts.. I sure
would hate to hear it tomorrow in the news that vim is another Google
acquisition.

Thanks,

Gen-Paul.


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: