Sunday, August 30, 2009

Re: Trying to post.

Fuzzy Logic wrote:
> Any mailling list software which rewrites the Message-ID will cause
> Gmail senders to see their reply as a unique message.
>
> Mailmain claims that it cannot do anything about it, but someone could
> quite easily change the software to rename the existing Message-ID to
> X-OLDMessage-ID and write a new unique Message-ID. Wouldn't be
> RFC-compliant, but possible.
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM, bill lam<cbill.lam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On the contrary I would like to learn which mailing lists you
>> subscribed can bounce emails back to the same gmail account.
>
>
Sorry Bill and Fuzzy Logic, and thanks for your patience, but I think
there must be some kind of miscommunication going on: I do not post from
a gmail account, or in other words, I do not start mozilla, log on to
their nightmare of an interface, compose a message with their nightmare
of an editor, waste five minutes trying to remember which silly little
icon I need to click to make sure my message is sent a plain text and
not as html.. etc.

I am subscribed to vim@vim.org under a gmail account but I do all my
mailing and composing under mozilla-mail running locally on my laptop.
In other words, I use the gmail account as a mail drop because I do not
have a fixed IP address, my own domain.. etc. and I do not run a mail
server visible to the outside world.

As a result mail from vim@vim.org is sent to pgenpaul@gmail.com and I
use POP3 to download the contents of that account's Inbox once in a
while to my local repository.

As to what mailing lists I subscribed to that do deliver copies of my
post, here is a simple example:

I subscribed to mutt-users@mutt.org on 08/02/2009 specifying the same
pgenpaul@gmail.com as when I subscribed to vim@vim.org.

On 08/11/2009, at about 7:41 PM EST, I posted a message from this
account whose title is "Malformed From: address in headers". This was
message was composed and sent using Thunderbird on my local system.

A few minutes later I downloaded new messages from pop.gmail.com for the
three mailing lists that pgenpaul@gmail.com is currently subscribed to,
mutt-users@mutt.org, vim@vim.org, and python-list@python.org.

As a part of this download, a copy of my message to mutt-users@mutt.org
ended up on my system.

Some time after 9:00 PM EST on the same day, I downloaded new messages
again from the pgenpaul@gmail.com account and I had a reply from one
Kyle Wheeler, with a timestamp of 8:19 PM.

I replied to his post at about 9:34 PM on the same day.

You can take a look at the thread at:

http://www.mutt.org/mail-lists.html

But then mutt-users is a proper mailing list, not a Google group.

:-)

I repeated the same scenario this morning with the vim@vim.org mailing
list and for some obscure reason, my initial post was never returned to
me, which means that instead of using my mailer to follow up, I now have
to fire up a web browser - why a web browser, I ask you.. I'm doing
email, no..?? what next.. I want to edit a file, can I use vim..?? well
no, you cannot, you must use a web browser..

Still doesn't really explain how my initial "Trying to post" message to
this "mailing list" made it back to my system, despite the fact that it
was posted in the exact same conditions, from the same gmail account..

No big deal anyway.. sorry about the noise and have a nice day.

Gen-Paul.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: